[Users] Reading multiple CarpetIHDF5 files into VisIt

Bernard Kelly physicsbeany at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:09:34 CST 2016

Hi all.

Follow-up to my question last week about *outputting* CarpetIOHDF5 3D
data as files separated by time (iteration), rather than processor.
Now I want to read them into VisIt, and I'm having problems.

Specifically, I have a set of, say, 10 files with names like

alp.it_00000.xyz.h5
alp.it_00100.xyz.h5
alp.it_00200.xyz.h5
.
.
.
alpha.it_00900.xyz.h5

I can open each file individually as type CarpetHDF5 and produce a
PseudoColor/IsoSurface plot. However, when I load them all as a
grouping ("smart", hand-picked, or using a .visit file), the result
only shows me the first time step --- the play/fast-forward/etc
buttons are greyed out and unresponsive.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? From the VisIt
documentation/forums I've seen, if I can load the data as a group, the
time steps should be recognized immediately, but perhaps I'm missing a
step, or something about the CarpetHDF5 file type doesn't allow this.

Thanks,

Bernard