[Users] Reading multiple CarpetIHDF5 files into VisIt

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 11 17:10:06 CST 2016

Hello Bernard,

> I can open each file individually as type CarpetHDF5 and produce a
> PseudoColor/IsoSurface plot. However, when I load them all as a
> grouping ("smart", hand-picked, or using a .visit file), the result
> only shows me the first time step --- the play/fast-forward/etc
> buttons are greyed out and unresponsive.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? From the VisIt
> documentation/forums I've seen, if I can load the data as a group, the
> time steps should be recognized immediately, but perhaps I'm missing a
> step, or something about the CarpetHDF5 file type doesn't allow this.
CarpetIOHDF5 contains code that explicitly forbids this since it
interferes with "normal" files a.file_0.h5 a.file_1.h5 which visit
interprets as a time series.

If you are curious, try downloading

git clone -b for_VisIt https://bitbucket.org/rhaas80/carpethdf5

and create a a.visit file with

!NBLOCKS 1
lp.it_00000.xyz.h5
alp.it_00100.xyz.h5
alp.it_00200.xyz.h5
.
.
.
alpha.it_00900.xyz.h5

in it. You need to be on the for_VisIt or multifile branch (the command
given above does that) and in paritcular you want the commit

that says "add support for multiple filesets in .visit files"
(https://bitbucket.org/rhaas80/carpethdf5/commits/d168b9dba6cfc3069b9d589235482afd469e12ec?at=for_VisIt).

The multifile branch is better tested but does many other things you
don't want.