[Users] meeting minutes for 2016-05-09

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu May 12 14:37:27 CDT 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:00:40PM +0200, Eloisa Bentivegna wrote:
> this is really due to the fact that this specific variable
> (ct_multilevel-err) should not be tested for relative changes, as it's
> difficult to define a natural tolerance, and sometimes even the smallest
> differences in execution lead to very large relative changes. I have
> just pushed a commit that makes sure that a failure is only triggered if
> the absolute difference is above threshold.

That is great, thanks.

On the other hand, the actual change that most likely triggered this
was a change in option lists on Jenkins, and there most likely the
-Ofast option. Before build #758 [1], the Jenkins VM used a special
jenkins option list, and starting with that build, it now uses the
generic Ubuntu option list.

Now, the tests should obviously also pass using that option list, but I
found it interesting to know why it started to fail when it did. Was the
change in option list intentional?

Frank

[1]
https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkit/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/%28root%29/CT_MultiLevel/poisson_2procs/