[Users] meeting minutes for 2016-05-16

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue May 24 16:14:44 CDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 03:35:16PM -0500, Frank Loeffler wrote:
> We do have Jenkins failures for a number of tests in QuasiLocalMeasures.

I did look into those, and they turn out to be tricky.

First of all: they are about files that are process-dependent, are
generated on one process, but are used by Jenkins also with two
processes. They should fail. In the past they didn't, and I believe this
is why:  https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1889. In short: because
of the way absolute/relative errors are currently computed, and because
some of the values in this particular case (weights) are 0, comparing
the testsuites gives the "How did I get here" error, but this doesn't
actually trigger a testsuite failure.

With current flesh, however, the fact that the two-process file does
contain more lines, you now still get a strong failure, which made the
suite fail now (and Jenkins was correct after all).

The suites pass when run on one process, so the actual data seem to be
just fine.

What's left is:

- decide what to do with the testsuites. We could either restrict them
  to one process only, change the output format to be
  process-independent, or remove the output of the carpet weight.
  If I don't get recommendations, I will go ahead within the next days
  and implement one of these options - likely the second option if easy.
- fix the testsuite mechanism. I didn't look closely at #1889, but that
  might already do that. These differences should have caused a strong
  failure in the first place.

Frank