[Users] CarpetIOHDF5 to S5 converter for yt

Jonah Miller jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:45:15 CDT 2016

Hi Roland,

Here are build and use instructions for SimulationIO and the
SimulationIO converter. You can find much of the same information in the
slides for my presentation at the ET workshop:

https://github.com/Yurlungur/simulationio-and-yt

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Best,

Jonah

To build the release version of SimulationIO, use my fork of Erik's repo:

https://github.com/Yurlungur/SimulationIO/tree/release-0.1

And the instructions are here:

https://github.com/Yurlungur/SimulationIO/blob/release-0.1/README.md

This installs the SimulationIO reader and the python API. It also adds
the utilities sio-convert-carpet-output and sio-list, which you can use
to generate and look at SimulationIO files.

The version of yt with a working SimulationIO frontend is:

https://bitbucket.org/Yurlungur/yt-simulationio

To use it:

hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/Yurlungur/yt-simulationio

cd yt-simulationio

hg update simulationio

python setup.py install

(add --user or --prefix=path or whatever you prefer)

Then you can load simulationio files by

import yt

ds = yt.load(filename,configuration=configuration)

where configuration is a name for the time level and timestep in the
SimulationIO file. You may also need to specify that there are no ghost
zones, etc.