[Users] Changing I/O parameters between simulations restarts

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Sep 30 10:47:19 CDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 05:40:50PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
>When you run the simulation again, you give it a new parameter file.
>It is this new parameter file which is checked for steered parameters;
>Cactus doesn't look at the output from a previous run.  Many parameters
>can be steered on recovery in this manner, by changing them in the
>parameter file.  Be careful when steering the out_every parameters; you
>almost certainly want out_criterion = divisor, not the default of
>"iteration".  "iteration" outputs if the current iteration number is N
>greater than the last output iteration.  "divisor" outputs if the
>current iteration is divisible by N.

I assume Dumsani refers to simfactory. How do you change the parameter
file that simfactory tells Cactus to use for a restart? I admit that in
that case I usually go in and change the file in the output directory
(simulations/name/...), but there must be a better way. I didn't have to
do that so often, so I never bothers to find out myself.

Does simfactory actually observe a --parfile option on submission of a
restart? It probably will not complain if you try, but does it actually
do what you want?

Frank