[Users] Changing I/O parameters between simulations restarts

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Sep 30 10:40:50 CDT 2016

On 30 Sep 2016, at 16:04, dumsani <g14n8326 at campus.ru.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When running long simulations with checkpointing, it might sometimes be
> useful to change certain parameters, especially I/O (e.g. the frequency
> of outputting a certain variable). Is this possible in
> Cactus/Simfactory? I notice that upon recovery (in the next re-start)
> Simfactory reads the parameters from a checkpoint file, not from any of
> the parfiles dumped within the job directory.
>
> Any suggestions/responses will be highly appreciated.

Hi Dumsani,

When you run the simulation again, you give it a new parameter file.  It is this new parameter file which is checked for steered parameters; Cactus doesn't look at the output from a previous run.  Many parameters can be steered on recovery in this manner, by changing them in the parameter file.  Be careful when steering the out_every parameters; you almost certainly want out_criterion = divisor, not the default of "iteration".  "iteration" outputs if the current iteration number is N greater than the last output iteration.  "divisor" outputs if the current iteration is divisible by N.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin