[Users] IOScalar Reductions

Gwyneth Allwright allgwy001 at myuct.ac.za
Thu Apr 6 06:50:00 CDT 2017

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to make sense of the 0D output files for the momentum
and Hamiltonian constraint errors (from ML_ADMConstraints and ML_BSSN).
When using IOScalar, many files are produced, apparently using various
norms and reductions:

*.average, *.count, *.d, *.maximum, *.minimum, *.norm1, *.norm2,
*.norm_inf, *.sum

(as well as the above with an "i" in front of each descriptor, e.g.
*.iaverage).

I'd naively guess that iaverage, isum etc. are reductions using imaginary
components, while the others are with real components, but have no clue
whether this is correct (I'm not sure whether these errors can run over the
imaginaries).

Do norm1, norm2 and norm_inf refer to the L-1, L-2 and L-infinity norms?

I'm unsure of what *.count represents -- perhaps the number of grid points
over which the reductions are calculated? Are the values used to calculate
the reductions taken from different refinement levels?

What does *.d represent?

For 1D IOASCII output, the headings look something like:

# refinement level 1   multigrid level 0   map 0   component 26
# column format: 1:it 2:tl 3:rl 4:c 5:ml 6:ix 7:iy 8:iz 9:time 10:x 11:y
12:z 13:data

I'm unsure of what many of these mean: "multigrid level", "map" and
"component" in the first row; 3 to 8 in the second row. I'm especially
curious about what the components are, because I'm only seeing data for a
small number of components.

Thanks very much for the help!

Gwyneth