[Users] Excision with McLachlan

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Mar 27 11:12:26 CDT 2017

Hi Miguel,

Here's a bit more information. There is no support in McLachlan for
using LegoExcision. LegoExcision was used with an old implementation of
BSSN. As Jonah said, when using Llama, it's possible to do excision
by using a six-patch coordinate setup. In principle it is also possible
to use a patch system with 13 patches to have 2 spherical exicision
regions. However, there is no infrastructure for keeping 2 black holes
centered on the excision regions as the system starts to evolve. Hence,
you'll encounter the problem that the black holes will move and the
excision regions will eventually cross the horizon at which point your
simulation will crash.

To perform simulations a lot of infrastructure (a la what is available
in SpEC) to control the shape and size of the horizons during a
dynamical evolution.

Cheers,

   Peter