[Users] Fedora 27 Compilation error

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 20 22:44:27 CST 2017

Hello,

> while, but eventually I encountered this: COMPILING
> arrangements/McLachlan/ML_BSSN/src/RegisterSymmetries.ccCOMPILING
> arrangements/McLachlan/ML_BSSN/src/Startup.ccCreating /home/jontester/Cactus/configs/sim/lib/libthorn_ML_BSSN.amake:
> *** [Makefile:260: sim] Error 2 I would be interested to know why
Hmm that error itself does not tell much. Make returns "2" for eg
dependency errors and possibly other things. I would try compile again
and see if there is any actual error message shown.

As for Fedora moving files and using "non-standard" locations, yes this
is a problem we are struggling with. Thankfully on most workstations
things work fine as long as pkgconfig is installed and (on fedora) one
uses "module load mpi" before compiling.

Please have a look at:

https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simplified_Tutorial_for_New_Users

in particular at the Prerequisites and the FC25 settings:

su -c ' yum -y install mpich2 python mpich2-devel gsl gsl-devel libjpeg-devel hdf5 hdf5-mpich-devel gcc gcc-c++ gcc-gfortran patch numactl-devel numactl hwloc subversion git openssl-devel lapack-static'

which admittedly use mpich and not openmpi.

In addition I would strongly advise to make sure pkg-config is
installed (often gets pulled in by default):

su -c 'ym install pkg-config'

Then

module load mpi
./simfactory/bin/sim setup-silent --optionlist=fedora.cfg --runscript debian.sh

and see if this lets you compile.