[Users] meeting minutes for 2018-08-06

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 6 09:33:10 CDT 2018

Present: Roland, Sam, Steve, Yosef, Bhavesh, Peter, Gary W Pearson, Bill

ET release:
* dates conflict with ET EU meeting
* will have release just after the meeting so that the tutorials can
  still use the old release
* will start testing testsuites. Roland on clusters and OSX, Steve on
  Linux.

Gallery examples:
* BBH: Sam has job that ran on SuperMike will look at it today
* TOV: works
* Scalar field: works
* BNS: Peter ran the example with old code and that matches the
  gallery, so there is indeed a code change that caused this.
  Significant differences are present in central density and
  amplitudes. Now we have to understand what causes the differences by
  trying to compare testsuite differences between the two versions.

Reviews:
* Peter looked at Proca and has not seen anything terrible yet
* Steve will look at WVU_Diagnostics
* Lean still needs a reviewer
* no progress on GiRaFFE

Education working group:
* please review
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/images/e/ed/EinsteinToolkit_EducationAndOutreach.pdf for compliance with https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/ET_Working_Group_Policies_and_Procedures

Read-write-based scheduler:
* Sam checked runtimes using PreSync vs. the current ET code and finds
  significant speedup of about 20% in all the tests which is accounted
  for in the SYNC calls, indicating a lot of oversynchronization. These
  tests include ML_BSSN.

ET wiki:
* close to having a new version of the wiki
* will have its own local logins and no longer rely on the CCT LDAP
* container for wiki is well under way
* hopeful to be able to let everybody edit the wiki by the end of this
  week