[Users] Error while compiling ET on cluster

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Sun Dec 30 11:42:04 CST 2018

Hello Jordi,

sorry for the late response.

> The function 'Multipole_OutputComplexToH5File' seems to be there.
> I've also tried recompiling the thorn and nothing seems to change.
The function is not quite there. The error is about

Multipole_OutputComplexToH5File(_cGH*, Multipole::variable_desc const*, double const*, Multipole::mode_array const&)

while the functions found is

Multipole_OutputComplexToH5File(_cGH*, std::string const&, std::string const&, double, double)

ie it takes different arguments.

I had a look at the source code in utils.cc and (in line 179) it defines two different functions

Multipole_OutputComplexToH5File

depending on whether or not

 HAVE_CAPABILITY_HDF5

is true.

The one missing is the one defined in the "true" branch of the #if statement while the one found is in the "false" branch ie used when no HDF5 functionality is present.

This clearly a bug in the code and went undetected since we always compile Cactus with HDF5 support.

Most likely you also want HDF5 support since it is used for checkpoint / recovery.

You should check that you have the thorn

ExternalLibaries/HDF5

listed in your ThornList and that also succeeded in building the HDF5 library or could find one in the system (this was output at the beginning of the compilation process but is hard to notice).

You can check for the presence of the file

configs/sim/bindings/Configuration/Capabilities/make.HDF5.defn

which should exist and contain lines like this (they will differ a bit for you of course):

include /home/rhaas/postdoc/gr/cactus/ET_trunk/configs/sim/bindings/Configuration/Capabilities/make.ZLIB.defn
INC_DIRS +=  $(HDF5_INC_DIRS)
INC_DIRS_F +=  $(HDF5_INC_DIRS)
HDF5_BUILD          =
HDF5_ENABLE_CXX     = no
HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN = yes
LIBSZ_DIR           =
LIBZ_DIR            =
HDF5_INSTALL_DIR    =
HDF5_DIR            = /usr
HDF5_ENABLE_CXX     = no
HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN = yes
HDF5_INC_DIRS       = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial /usr/include/hdf5/serial
HDF5_LIB_DIRS       = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial
HDF5_LIBS           = hdf5hl_fortran hdf5_fortran hdf5_hl hdf5 sz z m z
HAVE_CAPABILITY_HDF5 = 1

ie it should end in HAVE_CAPBILITY_HDF5