[Users] setting up an unsupported cluster

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Feb 7 21:52:42 CST 2018

Eric

Simfactory's key "aliaspattern" expects a regular expression. This allows
you to match several host names, which are then all recognized as being the
same machine. For example, Blue Waters has

aliaspattern    = ^h2ologin[1-4](\.ncsa\.illinois\.edu)?$

which matches four different host names.

There are two other solutions to this. The one I'm usually using (for other
reasons, not because of Simfactory) is to explicitly log in to one of the
specific login nodes (e.g. ln0003) after logging in to mesabi. This way
Simfactory won't be confused.

If you have a home directory file system that is not shared with other
machines, then you can also create a file "$HOME/.hostname" with the
content "mesabi" (or similar). Such a file will override Simfactory's host
name detection. However, the disadvantage is that each user on this machine
will then have to create such a file.

-erik