[Users] setting up an unsupported cluster

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Feb 8 02:13:10 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:29:16PM -0600, Eric West wrote:
>For a bit more background: MSI uses a two step login process. First you
>ssh into a login machine. Then you ssh from there into one of the
>clusters. The machine I eventually reach is named mesabi, and the login
>hosts are named ln000[1-6].

Hi Eric

When taking a look at
https://www.msi.umn.edu/content/connecting-hpc-resources

it seems like the login nodes are called 'loginXX' (with X being
digits), and from there you ssh into 'mesabi', but end up on nodes with
hostnames 'lnXXXX' (with X digits again). This suggests a common file
system, in which case you should be able to use a regular expression
like ^ln[0-9]{4}$ in 'aliaspattern' (depending on what 'hostname'
actually returns on those head nodes; you might have to extend for the
fully qualified name).

(Or even more restrictive ^ln000[1-6]$ if you like.)

Frank