[Users] Generalising to OpenMP

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Mar 28 08:06:15 CDT 2018

Chris

The standard approach is to have one scratch array per OpenMP thread.
This looks like

#pragma omp parallel
{
   ... initialise array ...
#pragma omp for
  for (...) {
    ... loop ...
  }
}

I'm repeating what you wrote since the inner "omp for" should not (!)
have a "parallel" directive, since it is already located in a parallel
region. Depending on how you clean up the scratch array, you could
also look at the "nowait" directive for the "omp for" block.

If it is expensive to set up the scratch array, then you can cache
this. Remember that the number of OpenMP threads can change during
execution. Even if you do not want to handle this case, you should
still detect it and abort. I typically use a C++ vector for the
thread-specific data structures.

vector<foo> scratch;

And the loop that uses this:

#pragma omp parallel
{
#pragma single
  if (scratch.size() < omp_get_num_threads()) {
    ... call initialization routine ...
 }
#pragma omp for
    ... loop ..
  }
}

The "omp single" region is executed by exactly one thread, and all
other threads will wait until this thread has finished, ensuring the
scratch data structure is correctly set up.

-erik