[Users] problems of reproducing the simulation of binary neutron star with different mass

林家暉 r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw
Tue May 15 04:31:47 CDT 2018

Dear Roland,

I do not quite understand what causes ,in your example,

CarpetRegrid2::position_x_1 = 42.
CarpetRegrid2::position_x_2 = -17

to become fail. In my case, if the initial location of the binary star is (-34.59 km , 45.41 km) ,I should set

CarpetRegrid2::position_x_1 = -34.59/1.48=-23.37
CarpetRegrid2::position_x_2 = 45.41/1.48=30.68

right?  Would this soon be set to (-23.37,23.37)? Because the mass difference is not so much, I am wondering whether there exists some maximum value of  mass ratio which can tolerate small mass difference.

By the way ,the link https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1974 seems not work. I would like to check it up.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Chia-Hui

________________________________
寄件者: Roland Haas <rhaas at illinois.edu>
寄件日期: 2018年5月15日 上午 02:46:15
收件者: 林家暉
副本: Einstein Toolkit Users
主旨: Re: [Users] problems of reproducing the simulation of binary neutron star with different mass

Hello Chia-Hui,

ok that would make the distance from the origin ~38 units (Msun)
which is certainly not what the parameter file is designed to handle.

The code only flips the x and y coordinates, not z as well so (x,y,z)
and (-x,-y,z) thought this will not make a difference for you as the
center of the stars is at z=0 anyway.

You have to edit the .par file and there are two lines in there that
read:

CarpetRegrid2::position_x_1 = 15.1875

and

CarpetRegrid2::position_x_2 = -15.1875

You have to change 15.1875 to the initial x position of one of the stars (measured in solar masses ie about 1.48 km) and the -15.1875 to that of the other one.

You then have to restart your simulation from the beginning. Note that I expect this to still fail since even if you initially give the code:

CarpetRegrid2::position_x_1 = 42.
CarpetRegrid2::position_x_2 = -17

it will very soon set the centers to be

x_1 = 17, x_2 = -17

since the star at x_2 = -17 is the heavier one (and thus has larger
central density).

There is a thorn that Zach Etienne is proposing for inclusion in the
Einstein Toolkit: https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1974 that he
says can track two unequal mass stars. The thorn in question would seem
to be VolumeIntegrals_GRMHD .