[Users] error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.19

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 1 09:54:47 CDT 2018

Hello Severin,

in your err file, it says:

--8<--
/home/severin/simulations/static_tov_llama/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim: error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.19: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
--8<--

which indicates that the gsl library is not found.

Why this is the case can have multiple different reasons.

If you are doing this on a cluster where you used a "module" command to
load a GSL module then most likely you have to use the same "module"
command in your runscript before the mpirun line.

It is also possible the the libraries present on the login node (where
you compiled) do not match the ones present on the compute nodes.

You may want to take your .err file output and show it either to a
colleague at Tuebingen who has used the cluster before or, failing
that, show it one of the cluster's support persons who may be able to
advise on how to proceed.

On a laptop this typically does not happen since there the linker
checks whether the library is present at link time and (unless eg a
system update changes the libraries in between) the same library will
be found at runtime. Though for some Linux distributions (eg RedHat
based ones) one may also have to use a module command. Finally if your
gls library is installed in a "strange" place you may have to add that
location to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable (at least as a temporary fix).