[Users] meeting minutes for 2018-10-08

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 8 09:47:51 CDT 2018

Present: Roland, Zach, Bill, Chris, Peter, Steve, Yosef

non-deterministic tests: https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/2200
* no progress yet, will have to investigate. Roland to attach log files
  of failed and succeeded runs to ticket

Carpet updates https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/2203
* Steve will review it

WVU_Diagnosis:
* Zach is rewrote one of the thorns (poynting flux computation) using
  NRPy+
* helper thorns in GiRaFFE and IllinoisGRMHD are causing a bit
  scheduling nightmare since the interaction between the two codes and
  the helper is complex.
* Zach pointed out that HydroBase doc may not make definiton of Bvec
  clear enough in particular wrt. sqrt(gamma), 4-velocity to use,
  sqrt(4pi)
* IllinoisGRMHD may use more of HydroBase and ADMBase variable directly
  in the future
* no tests yet because of this
* suggestion to adjust VolumeIntegral thorn to work on HydroBase
  variables directly since there were questions on the mailing list
  about tracking multiple NS

Lean, Proca:
* none are in yet, have reviews
* add to master thornlist for now so that they are being compiled

Discontinous Galerkin in Cactus:
* Jonah's DG framework is almost ready to included
* Steve is interacting with Jonah for this

BNS gallery example:
* https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/2119
* not working yet

Memory usage during regrid:
* https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/2194
* still waiting for example parfile

Next ET release:
* feature freeze likely in January 2019
* Zach will propose some of the NRPy+ codes
* Peter's self-force code may be interesting to include the next
  release after