[Users] Issues with Downloading/Installing the tool kit

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 3 08:22:45 CDT 2018

Hello Joe,

> Summary of Warnings:
>
> Could not update einsteininitialdata. Could not stash local changes. Error message was 'fatal: unable to create threaded lstat
> fatal: unable to create threaded lstat
> fatal: unable to create threaded lstat
> fatal: unable to create threaded lstat
> fatal: unable to create threaded lstat
> Cannot save the current worktree state
> '.
>   Time Elapsed: 0 minutes, 27 seconds
>
> This home directory is on a CentOS 6.10 server.  I was able to do this successfully on an Ubuntu 16 VM.
Oha. That does not sound good. The threaded lstat thing is an almost
internal git error message that could mean that there are issues with
the file system hosting your $HOME directory. I have seen that message
once before but the exact context escapes me now. It could have been in
relation to a BeeGFS file system issue (you can see the file system in
$HOME by doing "mount' command and looking for the line that
corresponds to $HOME).

In any case, git lets you avoid the threaded lstat if you set (see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33255285/i-get-fatal-unable-to-create-threaded-lstat-error-when-i-run-git-status-com#33805069):

git config --global core.preloadIndex false

which actually makes my BeeGFS hunch less likely and points to a
resource limit that the admins set.