[Users] Issues with Downloading/Installing the tool kit

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 3 14:08:55 CDT 2018

Hello Joe,

> Formaline: Optimising git repository (slow only the first time)...
> Formaline: ERROR during: Garbage collecting git repo
> Command was: /usr/bin/git --git-dir='/home/jhellmer/etk/Cactus/configs/sim/configjar.git/.git' gc at /home/jhellmer/etk/Cactus/configs/sim/scratch/Formaline/bin/update-git-repo.pl line 60, <STDIN> line 5090.
> make[1]: *** [/home/jhellmer/etk/Cactus/configs/sim/build/Formaline/git-store-source] Error 2
> make: *** [sim] Error 2
Yes that looks like some error in cleanup. This error will not prevent
you from compiling Cactus, as the repository is not used for anything
else but keeping track of the code you compiled. Oddly I do not
remember having seen that error on Comet before (and executing that
line in my own checkout I do not see the same error which may be due
to subtle differences in our environment). It may be another fallout of
the failed attempts before (you could run the command it gives
"/usr/bin/git
--git-dir='/home/jhellmer/etk/Cactus/configs/sim/configjar.git/.git' gc" manually and see if git produces a useful error message).

> sbatch: error: bank_limit plugin: expired user, can't submit job
> sbatch: error: Batch job submission failed: Invalid account or account/partition combination specified
The error code seems to indicate that your user account is not allowed
to submit jobs. Did you make sure to select an existing allocation?
Either via an "allocation =" line in simfactory/etc/defs.local.ini (in
the [comet] section) or via an --allocation option to the "sim
submit" command?

> What is the command just to execute without submitting a job?  Alternatvely, how do I configure the ETK to submit successfully on Slurm for the Cluster (Comet) I’m using?
That command would be "simfactory/bin/sim create-run
static_tov_test01 --parfile static_tov.par --procs 1 --num-threads 1
--walltime 24:00:00" which you tried and found to fail due to ibrun in
there expecting SLURM to be present.

You can do a manual run of the executable (just to see if this even
works) like so:

exe/cactus_sim par/static_tov.par 2>&1 | tee static_tov.log

which will run on the *login node* (not a good idea if you want the
admins to like you). Note that this may well fail if the admins have
set up their MPI stack such that you can only run MPI enabled
executables in a job.

You can look at the exact SubmitScript that was passed to sbatch
in /oasis/scratch/comet/jhellmer/temp_project/simulations/helloworld/output-0000/SIMFACTORY/SubmitScript