[Users] mass estimation of neutron star

林家暉 r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw
Mon Sep 17 12:10:00 CDT 2018

Dear whom it may concern,

I simulated the binary neutron star merger as in gallery code(https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html). I tried to find out the mass of the merged neutron star. For test, I calculated the initial mass of each neutron star  from the file rho.xy.h5 which is the rest mass density. What I computed is about 0.9 solar mass , however it supposed to be much larger because the baryonic mass of the initial data of each neutron star is about 1.45 solar mass. I also calculated magnetic energy which corresponds to about 1e-6 solar mass  which is not a possible reason of the discrepancy. I also considered velocity which may increase mass due to the relativity but the maximum of the initial velocity is only about 0.1c which also does not raise the mass too much. What is the possible reason that the total rest mass is so much smaller than the baryonic mass ?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Chia-Hui