[Users] mass estimation of neutron star

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:52:36 CDT 2018

Hello Chia-Hui,

I am very sorry for the late response.

There are (at least) two notions of mass that are relevant for neutron
stars

1. the baryon mass which is the integral \int \sqrt{\gamma} \rho W d^3x
2. the ADM mass (or a similar object) which is the mass measured by an
observer far away

the former can be computed as the integral of the "dens" variable of
GRHydro for example by requesting "sum" scalar output for it:

CarpetIOScalar::outScalar_vars = "GRHydro::dens"
CarpetIOScalar::outScalar_every = 1

and then multiplying the numbers in there by the volume of a cell on
the coarsest grid (ie the product of the values of CoordBase::dx,
CoordBase::dy, and CoordBase::dz in the parameter file).

The later can be computed using the QuasiLocalMeasures thorn on a
spherical surface or using the ADMMass thorn
(https://www.einsteintoolkit.org/thornguide/EinsteinAnalysis/ADMMass/documentation.html
see the example parfile here:
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinanalysis/raw/39b8ae09c3b55d842e19ed5e89a716d3534883d0/ADMMass/test/tov_carpet.par).