[Users] meeting minutes for 2019-04-04

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 4 09:46:55 CDT 2019

Hello all,

> re-run gallery examples
> * Helvi's group ran the examples before the release, will update the
>   dates on the gallery pages
> * need to re-run single NS example to use correct parfile
There are three candidates (at least, there's probably more if one
searches a bit more carefully) for a single NS evolution in the ET:

1. the gallery example's parfile
https://www.einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/ns/tov.par

2. the static_tov.par file from einsteinexamples:
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinexamples/raw/master/par/static_tov.par

3. the tov.par parameter file from the ET paper (Loeffler et al.):
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinexamples/raw/master/par/arXiv-1111.3344/tov/tov.rpar

The most significant difference between the three (as far as results
go) is that 2 and 3 use the 2D_Polytrope eos for evolution while 1 uses
ideal gas. The leads to opposite trends in the drift in eg central
density between the two sets.

2 and in particular 3 can be run for long enough (and with enough
resolution) so that one can use an fft on the result to extract the
mode frequencies.

1 is likely too short, and the even shorter version that Bruno provided
and that is currently in the tutorial produces nonsense when evolved
past t=800M

3 is likely out of date and it does seem to use the "old" names of
McLachlan's parameter names.

We could try and add the (useful) parfiles from the GRHydro paper(s) to
the gallery though at least some of them do require quite a bit of
compute power (and some are very tricky to get working).

There's eg a collapse to a bh, the Bondi accretiong, the 2d MHD tests,
quasinormal mode ringing.