[Users] Synchronisation and boundary prolongation in NSNS gallery example with slypp EOS

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Mar 12 12:55:55 CDT 2019

Wilke

If you use symmetry_rotating_180, then there cannot be any refinement
boundaries that are too close to the symmetry boundary, hence there will be
slightly larger fine grids.

-erik

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM Wilke van der Schee <
wilke.van.der.schee at cern.ch> wrote:

> Dear Erik,
>
> Thanks for the reply, such might indeed be the case. We use the same
> settings as in the gallery, i.e. a gridsize of 396 with dx=18 and then 7
> levels of refinement. Could the symmetry also be of influence here?
> (both reflection_z and symmetry_rotating180 are used). Looking at the grid
> (it was attached as visit0000.png) it looks quite fine to me, but I don't
> have that much experience.
>
> Thanks again, best,
>
> Wilke
>
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 18:38, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Wilke van der Schee <
>> wilke.van.der.schee at cern.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> We have been trying for a while to get neutron star mergers for
>>> different equations of state, with only partial success. While the gallery
>>> example with the polytrope runs fine, we already encounter problems with
>>> the SLy_tabulated EOS. (we're using the current release, ET_2018_09)
>>>
>>> One particularly puzzling error we don't understand is the following
>>> (full log+par file attached)
>>>
>>> "INFO (NSTracker): Found star at (-10.125,-5.90625,0)
>>>     21256   373.641 |   52.3035497 |    0.0001505    0.0053630 |
>>> 0.0014340 |    1.0717264 |    0.0019186 |      3591
>>> INFO (CarpetRegrid2): Enforcing grid structure properties, iteration 0