[Users] einsteintoolkit docker organization

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 09:31:10 CDT 2019

On 15 Mar 2019, at 03:51, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu<mailto:schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>> wrote:

Roland

Yes, I own this organization. This hosts an image I created several years ago. See also <https://github.com/eschnett/einsteintoolkit-docker>. Unfortunately, I did not manage to find a good way to have the Cactus executable and simulation result be placed outside the container. I will be happy to transfer ownership to you, or to create a team, etc. Please advise.

Ian Hinder mentioned to me that he also created an image, but I assume he did not upload it.

It was very large, so I didn't upload it.  Steve Brandt also did this.  It's not clear exactly how one would use Docker with the ET.  I think I set up three different images, inheriting from each other.  The first was just the dependencies, the second included the code, and the third included the build.  Which one you choose to use would be based on what you needed to be able to do.  e.g. for a workshop, maybe you want it already built.  For a development environment, maybe you want just the dependencies.

For storing the simulation results, one would presumably use a volume.  I didn't think of storing the executable outside the container; would this be the whole built config, or just the exe?  You could do that with a volume as well, but I'm not sure of the purpose?

I have two jenkins containers at https://hub.docker.com/u/ianhinder.

– The et-jenkins-slave one is actively used by the build system.

– jenkins-einsteintoolkit is for a standalone environment; it gives you a full working jenkins system (without needing separate master/slaves) with all the packages installed.  I haven't tested this recently though.  Last updated 4 years ago, so I doubt it will work :)

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK