[Users] [ET Trac] #2064: Add GiRaFFE to the Einstein Toolkit

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Nov 4 10:56:04 CST 2019

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 8:38 AM Zach Etienne <
trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org> wrote:

> #2064: Add GiRaFFE to the Einstein Toolkit
> Reporter: Zach Etienne
> Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
>
> Comment (by Zach Etienne):
>
> @Ian Hinder : Version control with Jupyter is only slightly more
> difficult than with plain source code, as its JSON is plaintext.
>
> Is it a good idea to pull the whole code into notebooks? I don’t know how
> sustainable it is when you have multiple contributors; merging changes from
> different people can become very difficult.
>
> Writing the Jupyter notebook is only the first step in NRPy+ development,
> but arguably the most important as it contains the documentation and some
> validation checks. I’d liken the Jupyter notebook phase more to
> collaboratively writing a journal article with a shared git repo than code
> development within such a repo.

I'd like to add a point to this, out of frustration:

A few weeks ago I downloaded and ran Tutorial-BaikalETK.ipynb. Today I try
to "git pull", and it doesn't work, because there are differences in the
output everywhere (e.g. "Finished BSSN symbolic expressions in
1.2987918853759766 seconds"). The only way I see is to undo my changes
("git checkout"), and then pull your changes. In this case that's fine
because there are no major changes, but if I had made changes I'd be in
trouble.

I think the problem is that the output is stored in the git repo. In the
future, you might want to switch to a system where (a) notebooks
automatically have all output removed before they are committed, and (b)
upon commit, Travis or a similar system creates for-viewing-only notebooks
with a standardized output.

-erik