[Users] problem using McLachlan with a NS-BH system

Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
Wed Nov 27 05:36:43 CST 2019

Dear All,
  a student of mine (Giulia Crotti) is having issues running a NS-BH
simulation with GRHydro and McLachlan (parfile attached). The problem we
are having is with the metric evolution (see attached image for the lapse
produced just before the crash) and I don't think I ever saw such a
problem. Does any of you have any suggestio?

Approximately around 2000 iterations the simulation crashes with the
following error:

ERROR from host r168c12s01.marconi.cineca.it process 0

  while executing schedule bin CCTK_EVOL, routine
PunctureTracker::PunctureTracker_Track

  in thorn PunctureTracker, file
/marconi/home/userexternal/gcrotti0/EinsteinToolkit/ET_2018_09/Cactus/arrangements/EinsteinAnalysis/PunctureTracker/src/puncture_tracker.cc:204:

  -> Shift at puncture #0 is (-nan,-nan,-nan).  This likely indicates an
error in the simulation.

Something is wrong with the metric; indeed the lapse function gets larger
than 1. We have 9 refinement levels on the black hole, with a resolution of
0.045 on the finest grid. The initial data have been computed as to get a
mass ratio = 3; so the black hole mass is ~4 solar masses. The black hole
is non-spinning.

Thanks,

Bruno

--

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics

email: bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321
web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

Those who understand binary, and those who don't