[Users] Communicated region and active part of the domain

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Nov 28 08:22:09 CST 2019

Dominik

Carpet calculates these region sizes automatically based on the
parameters. This calculation can fail (and will then sometimes lead to
strange errors such as the one you reported) if either:
- the coarse grid has too few points (since Carpet cannot increase the
coarse grid size)
- there are too many processes used (since Carpet is not always clever
enough to leave some of the processes unused)

It is sometimes surprising how many grid points are needed for a
self-consistent grid setup. For example, with 3 ghost zones and an RK4
operator, the coarse grid needs to have more than 30 grid points or so
at least to contain all ghost and buffer zones around the fine grid.
If there is only a single grid, arbitrarily small domains should be
possible (if you set up the boundaries correctly).

The error messages should probably be improved.

As a remedy, I recommend using fewer MPI processes and/or increasing
the resolution of the coarse grid.

-erik