[Users] Possible performance issue

Vaishak P vaishak at iucaa.in
Thu Oct 3 15:41:53 CDT 2019

Dear All,

I am running the simulation GW150914 using the parameter file available at
the ETK gallery at (GW150914-ETK gallery
<https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bbh/index.html>) using 128 cores.

Each compute node consists of 2 X 16 Cores Intel SkyLake ( Intel(R) Xeon(R)
Gold 6142 CPU @ 2.60GHz) and 384 GB RAM .  I have compiled and am running
Einstein Toolkit without OpenMP and using mpich-3.3.1.

The issue is that the simulation seems to be running at a very slow pace.
The number of physical time per hour that it is completing is only about
1.3 units. At this rate to complete 1700 units, it would take about 54
days, in contrast to 2.8 days on (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @
2.40GHz) as per the details at the example run of GW150914 available at the
gallery (GW150914-ETK gallery
<https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bbh/index.html>).

I have also tried using intel mpi (impi) but with simular results.

I am also attaching the out file from the simulation.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks and regards,

Vaishak P

PhD Scholar,
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Fellow
Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA)
Pune, India