[Users] Error in exe/cactus_sim

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 20 13:25:34 CDT 2020

Hello Rishank Diwan,

this sounds a bit like a mismatch between the MPI library used to
compile and the mpirun command used to run your code.

Can you provide file mpi.log produced by this code, please:

mpirun -n 2 exe/cactus_sim -S par/static_tov.par &>mpi.log

This can have multiple causes, one of them that there is no or multiple
MPI stacks installed.

To check this, please run:

dpkg --list | grep -vi compile | grep -i mpi

and check that there is exactly one of the OpenMPI or MPICH packages
installed (you can also try "update-alternatives --list mpi" but it
will not catch everything if eg the MPICH development files but OpenMPI
runtime files are installed update-alternatives won't notice).

If there is no MPI stack installed at all, then you should consult:

https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/nds-org/jupyter-et/blob/master/CactusTutorial.ipynb

and follow the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint instructions to install an MPI stack
and the other recommended packages, then compile from scratch. After
making sure that there is no other MPI stack installed.

Finally you may want to check what MPI library your executable is
actually linked against by running:

dpkg -S $(readlink -f $(ldd exe/cactus_sim | gawk '/libmpi.so/{print
$3}'))

then running

dpkg -S $(readlink -f $(which mpirun))

and check that the two are compatible (ie from the same MPI stack).