[Users] Error in exe/cactus_sim

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 03:19:17 CDT 2020

On 20 Apr 2020, at 15:38, Rishank Diwan <rishank2610 at gmail.com<mailto:rishank2610 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am trying to compile a Cactus executable on my laptop, which has an
ubuntu-based operating system(Ubuntu 18.04). I am using the latest version i.e; ET_2019_10. I am using simfactory and following the Simulation Factory Advanced Tutorial.

Hi Rishank,

Are you referring to this?

https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simulation_Factory_Advanced_Tutorial

This was last updated in 2018; it might have been superseded by the Jupyter tutorials described at https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/new-user-tutorial.html.  Roland, can you confirm?

For building, I am using generic configuration files which are also the default files.

Here are the steps I am using:

simfactory/bin/sim setup

./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist ../einsteintoolkit.th<http://einsteintoolkit.th/>

Compilation produces an executable, but when I go for running the
example file using the command,

exe/cactus_sim

I get the following error.
""
Fatal error in PMPI_Comm_rank: Invalid communicator, error stack:
PMPI_Comm_rank(110): MPI_Comm_rank(comm=0x8202540, rank=0x7ffcee11d818)
failed
PMPI_Comm_rank(68).: Invalid communicator
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=805918213
:
system msg for write_line failure : Bad file descriptor
""

I am not able to find any relevant solution on the internet. Can you
please help me find in the solution.

Can you try running the executable via simfactory, as per the tutorial section "Running a simulation" (https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simulation_Factory_Advanced_Tutorial#Running_a_Simulation)?

simfactory/bin/sim run static_tov --configuration sim-debug --parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=8

This will hopefully make sure that the MPI used to build the code is used to run it as well (though I have my suspicions that even then it's not guaranteed).  You say that you are running the executable with

exe/cactus_sim

but that is not how the tutorial says to run it.  In general, Cactus executables will need certain environment variables set, modules loaded, etc, and to be run with the correct mpirun command.

That being said, running the executable directly should work on a ubuntu system like this, but it's better to use sim run.

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK