[Users] Error in exe/cactus_sim

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 03:43:01 CDT 2020

On 21 Apr 2020, at 21:19, Rishank Diwan <rishank2610 at gmail.com<mailto:rishank2610 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello Roland and Ian,

I did check for OpenMPI and MPICH package, it seems there is only one installed I am attaching the result so you can see.
I also checked the other two command to know the compatibility but they seem to have different path.

"dpkg -S $(readlink -f $(ldd exe/cactus_sim | gawk '/libmpi.so/{print$3}'<http://libmpi.so/%7Bprint$3%7D'>)) " gives "libopenmpi2:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/lib/libmpi.so.20.10.1" as output.
"dpkg -S $(readlink -f $(which mpirun))" gives "openmpi-bin: /usr/bin/orterun" as output.

They are both openmpi, so that doesn't immediately throw up any red flags.

I have tried "simfactory/bin/sim run static_tov --parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=2" and "./simfactory/bin/sim create-run helloworld --parfile arrangements/CactusExamples/HelloWorld" and "exe/cactus_sim" in all the above cases I got the same error message.

I am also attaching the mpi.log file you asked for.

>From the dpkg output, you have both mpich and openmpi installed.

ii  mpich                                      3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Implementation of the MPI Message Passing Interface standard

ii  openmpi-bin                                2.1.1-8                                             amd64        high performance message passing library -- binaries
ii  openmpi-common                             2.1.1-8                                             all          high performance message passing library -- common files

Can you tell us the output of

which mpicc

It should be /usr/bin/mpicc

Then type

mpicc -show

to see which MPI package it is using.  It should be something like

gcc -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/mca/event/libevent2022/libevent -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/mca/event/libevent2022/libevent/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -pthread -L/usr//lib -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/lib -lmpi

so we can see which one is the default?  When you build the ET, the MPI thorn build script runs mpicc to find out which MPI to use.

It's possible that you might have to uninstall mpich, but I'm not sure.  There *shouldn't* be a fundamental reason why you can't have both installed and just use one of them, but there might be technical reasons why it doesn't work.

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK