[Users] Error in exe/cactus_sim

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 26 10:54:16 CDT 2020

Hello Rishank Diwan,

looking at you file "mpi" there are still bits and pieces of mpich
installed. Namely:

ii  mpich-doc                                  3.3~a2-4                                            all          Documentation for MPICH
ii  mpich                                      3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Implementation of the MPI Message Passing Interface standard
ii  mpich-doc                                  3.3~a2-4                                            all          Documentation for MPICH
ii  libmpich-dev                               3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Development files for MPICH
ii  libmpich-dev                               3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Development files for MPICH
ii  libmpich12:amd64                           3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Shared libraries for MPICH

as well as a lot of MPICH using libraries:

ii  gromacs-mpich                              2018.1-1                                            amd64        Molecular dynamics sim, binaries for MPICH parallelization
ii  libhdf5-mpich-100:amd64                    1.10.0-patch1+docs-4                                amd64        Hierarchical Data Format 5 (HDF5) - runtime files - MPICH2 version
ii  libhdf5-mpich-dev                          1.10.0-patch1+docs-4                                amd64        Hierarchical Data Format 5 (HDF5) - development files - MPICH version
ii  libmeep-mpich2-8                           1.3-4build3                                         amd64        library for using parallel (OpenMPI) version of meep
ii  libmeep-mpich2-dev                         1.3-4build3                                         amd64        development library for using parallel (OpenMPI) version of meep
ii  libmpich12:amd64                           3.3~a2-4                                            amd64        Shared libraries for MPICH
ii  libscalapack-mpich-dev                     2.0.2-4                                             amd64        Scalable Linear Algebra Package - Dev. files for MPICH
ii  libscalapack-mpich2.0                      2.0.2-4                                             amd64        Scalable Linear Algebra Package - Shared libs. for MPICH
ii  libtachyon-mpich-0:amd64                   0.99~b6+dsx-8                                       amd64        Parallel/Multiprocessor Ray Tracing Library - runtime - MPICH flavour
ii  libtachyon-mpich-0-dev:amd64               0.99~b6+dsx-8                                       amd64        Parallel/Multiprocessor Ray Tracing Library - development - MPICH flavour
ii  meep-mpich2                                1.3-4build3                                         amd64        software package for FDTD simulation, parallel (OpenMPI) version
ii  netpipe-mpich2                             3.7.2-7.4build2                                     amd64        Network performance tool using MPICH2 MPI
ii  yorick-mpy-mpich2                          2.2.04+dfsg1-9                                      amd64        Message Passing Yorick (MPICH2 build)
[...]

You will have to remove *all* the mpich pieces, namely:  mpich-doc
mpich mpich-doc libmpich-dev libmpich12 to be sure to avoid any strange
interference. Note that this will also remove the mpich using libraries.