[Users] issue of compilation of ETK on Ubuntu 18.04

Federico Cipolletta cipo87 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 15:04:34 CST 2020

Hello Roland,

thank you very much for your answe.

Il giorno lun 17 feb 2020 alle ore 21:12 Roland Haas <rhaas at illinois.edu>
ha scritto:

> Hello Federico,
>
> this is just a guess: issues with Fortran modules, can be caused by
> updates of the Fortran compiler (since they are specific to the exact
> compiler version).

Yes, indeed it is what I was guessing but I cannot figure out what is going
on.

> The compiled Fortran modules are stored in the "configs/sim/scratch"
> directory and are removed (and then recompiled) by both the "clean" and
> the "realclean" targets.
>
> Can you try if you can compile after running:
>
> make sim-clean
>
> please (and then check before compiling that
> configs/ET/scratch/cctk.mod is not present)? Looking at your log file,
> this does not seem very likely to help (since you have "COMPILING
> CactusBase/Fortran/src/cctk.F90") but it may be worth a try at least.
>
> You may also want to check that there is no file named "cctk.mod"
> anywhere else (eg by running "find
> /home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/ -name cctk.mod").

When I am doing the first compilation, I indeed getting a cctk.mod file in
configs/ET/scratch. I am attaching this file. After the clean flag I get
nothing when finding the cctk.mod file in the Cactus directory. However, if
I repeat the make ET command, I am getting an error related to hwloc,
namely:

Checking status of thorn hwloc
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
'/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/configs/ET/scratch/done/hwloc',
needed by 'make.checked'.  Stop.
/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/lib/make/make.thornlib:112:
recipe for target 'make.checked' failed
make[2]: *** [make.checked] Error 2
/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/lib/make/make.configuration:181:
recipe for target
'/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/configs/ET/lib/libthorn_hwloc.a'
failed
make[1]: ***
[/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/configs/ET/lib/libthorn_hwloc.a]
Error 2
Makefile:256: recipe for target 'ET' failed
make: *** [ET] Error 2

> The toolkit compiles on a freshly installed Ubuntu 18.04 VM for me (and
> with gcc 6, gcc 7, gcc 8, gcc 9 on my Debian Bullseye workstation), so
> there may be something odd going on.
>
> Would you mind attaching the file cctk.mod produced on your system as
> well as the machine ini file for WS03 (WS03.ini in
> simfactory/mdb/machines), please?

Sure, I attach the cctk.mod file of the first trial, the compilation2.out
of the second make and the WS03.ini files. Is there something I am missing?

> Yours,
> Roland

Thank you very much,
Federico.