[Users] issue of compilation of ETK on Ubuntu 18.04

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 17 14:11:53 CST 2020

Hello Federico,

this is just a guess: issues with Fortran modules, can be caused by
updates of the Fortran compiler (since they are specific to the exact
compiler version).

The compiled Fortran modules are stored in the "configs/sim/scratch"
directory and are removed (and then recompiled) by both the "clean" and
the "realclean" targets.

Can you try if you can compile after running:

make sim-clean

please (and then check before compiling that
configs/ET/scratch/cctk.mod is not present)? Looking at your log file,
this does not seem very likely to help (since you have "COMPILING
CactusBase/Fortran/src/cctk.F90") but it may be worth a try at least.

You may also want to check that there is no file named "cctk.mod"
anywhere else (eg by running "find
/home/federico/Documents/EinsteinToolkit/Cactus/ -name cctk.mod").

The toolkit compiles on a freshly installed Ubuntu 18.04 VM for me (and
with gcc 6, gcc 7, gcc 8, gcc 9 on my Debian Bullseye workstation), so
there may be something odd going on.

Would you mind attaching the file cctk.mod produced on your system as
well as the machine ini file for WS03 (WS03.ini in
simfactory/mdb/machines), please?