[Users] Hyperbolic encounters using example parameter files

Øyvind Christiansen oyvind.christiansen at astro.uio.no
Wed Feb 19 06:28:57 CST 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to change at first the bbh.par file from the arxiv-1111.3344 folder in Cactus and later the GW150914 example at the gallery at the einsteintoolkit website, to simulate hyperbolic encounters at large impact parameters where there's overlap of validity with the post-Newtonian approximation.

I'm naively changing the TwoPunctures parameters to aim momentum a bit off of each other and start out at a larger distance. Changing the distance I also change the origin_x and initial_guess__coord_sphere__x_cent, and initial_x parameters in AHFinderDirect and PunctureTracker. I also adjust dtfac because of using larger momenta.

My questions:

Are there any other parameters I should be changing as well to accommodate this scenario?

How accurate and physical results will bbh.par yield? Is GW150914 gallery necessary? If so, should I expect reasonable results using it, when working with it black-box like this?

Are there any subtleties to changing the masses? For example regarding the initial_guess__coord_sphere__radius in AHFinder?

I couldn't find too much documentation on TwoPunctures.

I'm assuming the units are G=c=Ms=1.

Thank you for any help and/or direction!

Øyvind Christiansen

Master student, Oslo