[Users] WENO-Z in GRHydro

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:30:43 CST 2020

Hello Bruno, Roberto,

> I just discovered that GRHydro supports also WENO-Z (a different
> implementation of the WENO 5th order reconstruction scheme).
>
> I have a master student currently looking at high order schemes and I admit
> that I thought that GRHydro had only WENO5 implemented
> (recon_method="weno") since this is the scheme that was mentioned and
> tested in the GRHydro paper (which instead does not mention WENO-Z which I
> assume was probably implemented after the paper).
>
> Has the WENO-Z implementation also been tested? Is someone using it?
It has been years since this was really tested (it was first implemented in December 2012 / January 2013). I believe Christian Reisswig and I have to take blame for implementing any bugs in it.

I am no longer quite sure if how much testing was done. I looked through old emails but cannot tell from them whether only WENO (plus changes from Sasha Tchekhovskoy's WHAM paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/0704.2608) which were described in the GRHydro MHD paper (Moesta, Mundim et al.) were tested or also the WENO-z implementation.

Worse, I do not even have a reference from the flavor of WENO-z that was implemented :-(. Could be https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999107005232 Borges et al. JCompPhys Volume 227, Issue 6, 1 March 2008, Pages 3191-3211 or something completely different.

So, while I believe that there was effort to test it, there is no longer a reproducible way to check what was tested and how well it performed.