[Users] Determination of the final spin of the remnant of a binary neutron star merger

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:42:54 CST 2020

Beyhan

The QuasiLocalMeasures thorn can examine not only horizons, but also
other 2-surfaces. You can set up a surface that is large and which
encloses both the remnant and surrounding matter, but which is still
inside the emitted gravitational wave train. QuasiLocalMeasures can
then calculate the angular momentum contained inside that sphere.

As Zach mentioned, the details of setting up a parameter file to do so
are difficult to explain over email. The example parameter file
"Cactus/par/qc0-mclachlan.par" contains such a setup; surface #3
("horizon" #4, although this surface is of course not a horizon) is a
sphere with areal radius R=50 where such quantities are calculated.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>