[Users] Meeting Minutes for 2020-03-19

Bill Gabella b.gabella at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 19 11:11:09 CDT 2020

Present:  Roland H, Bill G, Steve B, Peter D, Alois Peter S, Maria H,
Liu H,

Chair:  Roland
Minutes:  Bill

* update on potential codes to be included in next release, from minutes
[RH]

** Baikal ETK (Zach, Helvi)

     No Zach.

** Illinois GRDMH (Zach, Roland)

     No Zach.

** Presync (Steve, Roland)

     Roland and Steve fixing, just warnings now. One ticket is blocker
(#2348
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2348/presync-branch-of-mclachlan-modifies>)
and Roland has the fix, some warnings left.
Steve working on it.  Might have to back out of McLachlan code, so it
may not have presync.

* timeline
<https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details#Schedule_for_ET_2020_04>
of coming release [RH]

     Keep the same timeline, release same.  Could move feature freeze a
little later if we want, if folks can work on them---
with APS meeting not in person.

* trivial or minor bugs
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?kind=bug&priority=minor&priority=trivial&milestone=ET_2020_04&status=new&status=open>
tagged for next release, all bugs of severity major or worse
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?kind=bug&priority=major&priority=blocker&priority=critical&status=new&status=open>
(should be definition be fixed before the release)

     Roland and Steve on the presync ones.  Otherwise machine defs for
Simfactory.

* other open tickets
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?kind=proposal&kind=enhancement&milestone=ET_2020_04&status=open&status=new>
flagged for next release

     No new ones.

* gallery testing: tasks
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?kind=task&milestone=ET_2020_04>

** volunteers needed, please volunteer (someone)  [RH]

     Gallery examples ready and updated by April 30th, but a good idea
to test run them before the
feature freeze (Apr 9).  After the code is frozen should be re-run.

*** TOV: Brock Brendal (UIUC)

*** BNS: Shawn Rosofsky (UIUC)

*** BBH: TBD     Maybe one of Zach's students.

*** Poisson: TBD   Bill G and group (Vanderbilt)

*** Multipatch scalar wave: TBD

unanswered questions on mailing list
https://www.einsteintoolkit.org/tools/unanswered.php

open tickets sorted by update time
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?status=open&status=new&sort=-updated_on

Tkt no. 2350
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2350/conversion-of-units>
about units.  Hydro units are conventional M=Msol, G=1, c=1. Maria:
going from conventional units
to code units?  Roland: it uses the conventional units.  Magnetic field
is a mess, different choices have little difference.
Roland and Maria: is it writing down how to do the conversion---look up
HydroBase CCL
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinbase/src/master/HydroBase/interface.ccl>
and that it appears in the
documentation.  And give an example.  Baumgarte and Shapiro's NumRel
book has in appendix I - "Binary black hole
puncture simulations as test problems"---note in the captions to Table
I.1 and I.2, p. 643, they say for x,P "where 1 code unit =
1.011 M" !
Cactus agrees to map 1 to 0.98 (?).

Roland: Should HydroBase output a banner with units?  Maybe, but it
would get lost in the outputs.

tickets ready for review
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?status=new&status=open&sort=-updated_on&q=Please%20review

* Other items, not on agenda