[Users] Grid structure inconsistency & errors in surface mask locations

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Apr 19 10:49:33 CDT 2021

Konrad

One generic way to approach this is to "walk" the solution from a
simple set of parameters (which you understand) to where you want them
to be, in small steps, so that you don't lose the horizons along the
way.

You'd start with a well-known setup, or at least a symmetric setup
(equal masses, equal distances), and then gradually change the
parameters. As you learn how the horizons that are found look like,
you can give better initial guesses for the next parameter set.

Unfortunately, the Einstein Toolkit does not contain a script that
would help you with this; you'll have to do that yourself.

Since you were worried about the resolution, and since this is only
about finding the horizon, you can use a much smaller domain (it only
needs to contain the horizons you're looking for), you can disable
mesh refinement, and you can use a rather high resolution. You can
certainly run this on a single workstation, and possibly even on a
laptop.

-erik