[Users] problems compiling ETK on OSX Big Sur

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 4 14:26:39 CDT 2021

Hello Maria,

> I've been trying to compile the new stable version of the ETK Lorentz
> on osx Big Sur and I got all kinds of problems.
This is x86 or M1?

I could compile Lorentz fine on OSX BigSur (x86 in a VM) using both
macports and homebrew.

Note that both might have updated their default compilers (to gcc-11)
since you last tried.

The instructions to compile are in the jupyter notebook:

https://github.com/nds-org/jupyter-et/blob/master/CactusTutorial.ipynb

I just tried following those instructions on BigSur 11.4, HomeBrew, both
freshly updated and things worked ok (taking into account the bugfix in
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2537/sim-setup-silent-produces-float-values-for ).

Here's my OS information and installed packages:

% sw_vers
ProductName:    macOS
ProductVersion: 11.4
BuildVersion:   20F71