[Users] Proposed (not implemented) improvement to TerminationTrigger

Gabriele Bozzola bozzola.gabriele at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:57:15 CST 2021

Hi,

I don't have time to do this myself at the moment, but I think it would be
very useful to
be able to ask TerminationTrigger to trigger termination at a multiple of a
given iteration.

The main application for this is ReadInterpolate. I am trying to use the
thorn to change
some fundamental parameters of the simulation of my ongoing runs.
ReadInterpolate
requires the checkpoints to be all at the same time. The checkpoints my
simulations
naturally produce do not fulfill this requirement, so what I have to do is
to do a
small run with cctk_itlast set to a number I manually have to compute so
that all the
refinement levels are synced. This is doable, but rather inconvenient to do
every time.

The change I propose is to introduce a range of "termination times" to
TerminationTrigger
instead of a single value (on_remaining_walltime). The idea is that as soon
as the remaining
walltime is less than the lower end of the range, TerminationTrigger will
terminate only
when the iteration is a multiple of a specified value. If the the high end
of the range is reached,
than this condition is no longer checked and the termination is triggered
immediately
(current behavior). Similarly, it would be nice to add a new sentinel value
to the termination file.
E.g., if I write the number 2 in the termination file, then
TerminationTrigger will stop at the
first iteration that is multiple of the given value instead of stopping
immediately.

I think that these changes would be rather simple to implement, and if the
default value for
"terminate_at_multiple_of" is set to 1, then they would be backwards
compatible.

At the moment, I cannot implement these changes myself, but I leave the
idea here as
a suggestion for future improvements.

If anyone has a better way to do what I want to do, I'd be happy to hear
that.

Best,
Gabriele