[Users] a problem met in running the sample code "Binary, inspiraling neutron stars forming a hypermassive neutron star" on Jimmy's own work station

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri May 21 09:02:06 CDT 2021

Hello Jimmy,

the error is the level 0 warning at the end of the err file:

--8<--
WARNING level 0 from host dell-Precision-7920-Tower process 0
  while executing schedule bin BoundaryConditions, routine RotatingSymmetry180::Rot180_ApplyBC
  in thorn RotatingSymmetry180, file /home/bai/ET/Cactus/configs/sim/build/RotatingSymmetry180/rotatingsymmetry180.c:492:
  -> TAT/Slab can only be used if there is a single local component per MPI process
cactus_sim: /home/bai/ET/Cactus/configs/sim/build/Carpet/helpers.cc:275: int Carpet::Abort(const cGH*, int): Assertion `0'
--8<--

namely "TAT/Slab can only be used if there is a single local component
per MPI process".

To avoid this you will have to use more than 1 MPI ranks (the technical
description is a bit complicated).

When using simulation factory you must ensure that the values for
--procs / --cores (total number of threads created) and --num-threads
(number of threads per MPI rank) are such that there are at least 2 MPI
ranks.

Eg:

./simfactory/bin/sim submit --cores 12 --num-threads 6 ...

or when using mpirun directly the equivalent would be:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=6
mpirun -n 2 ...