[Users] Einstein toolkit with Sun Grid Engine

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:22:21 CDT 2021

Hello Chris,

We used SGE a long time ago on some of the TACC machines.

You can find an old setup for TACC's Ranger cluster in an old commit
like so:

git checkout fed9f8d6fae4c52ed2d0a688fcc99e51b94e608e

and then look at the "ranger" files in OUTDATED subdirectories of
machines, runscripts, submitscripts.

Having all MPI ranks on a single node might also be caused by using
different MPI stacks when compiling and when running so you must make
sure that the "mpirun" (or equivalent command) you use is the one that
belongs to the MPI library that you used when linking your code.

Finally you may also have to check if this is an issue with threads and
MPI ranks. Ie I would check if things are still wrong if you use only
MPI processes and no OpenMP threads at all (in that case you would have
to check what SGE counts: threads (cores) or MPI ranks (processes)).