[Users] reduction operation in CarpetIOScalar

白济民 beki-cat at sjtu.edu.cn
Thu Apr 28 10:26:59 CDT 2022

Thanks Eric, it helps :)

----- 原始邮件 -----
发件人: "Erik Schnetter" <schnetter at gmail.com>
收件人: "白济民" <beki-cat at sjtu.edu.cn>
抄送: "users" <users at einsteintoolkit.org>, "1614603292" <1614603292 at qq.com>
发送时间: 星期四, 2022年 4 月 28日 下午 10:28:57
主题: Re: [Users] reduction operation in CarpetIOScalar

CarpetIOScalar has two kinds of reduction operations when it comes to
mesh refinement, those without the "i" prefix (for physical
quantities) and those with an "i" prefix (for discretization
quantities).

In particular, "isum" sums over all grid points independent of their
level. This helps debug, but doesn't give information that is
physically interesting. "sum" weighs each grid point by its volume,
i.e. points on finer levels have a smaller weight. Adding a refined
level should leave the result of "sum" unchanged. "sum" also does the
right thing near symmetry boundaries.

To get the integral over the domain, use the "sum" reduction and
multiply by the coarse grid spacings, i.e. the volume of one coarse
grid cell.

"icount" is the number of grid points. It's usually not useful, but
it's necessary internally e.g. for "norm2", and thus it can be output
as well. (Why not?) "iaverage" is the (unweighted) average over all
grid points. "inorm" is the unweighted norm (I don't recall which
norm, probably the 2-norm).

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>