[Users] Problem installing Einstein Toolkit on Mac

Rob rob6013 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 06:49:13 CDT 2023

Hi,

I hope someone can help.
I have tried to install the Einstein Toolkit but am getting an error in the
final part of the process on the Jupyter CactusTutorial:

%%bash
./simfactory/bin/sim build -j2 --thornlist thornlists/einsteintoolkit.th

Output is:

Using configuration: sim
Reconfiguring sim
Writing configuration to: /Users/rob/Cactus/configs/sim/OptionList
Cactus - version: 4.14.0
Reconfiguring sim.
Using configuration options from configure line
  Setting fds to '3,5 -j --'
End of options from configure line
Adding configuration options from '/Users/rob/Cactus/configs/sim/OptionList'...
  Setting VERSION to '2018-12-13'
  Setting CPP to 'cpp'
  Setting CC to 'gcc'
  Setting CXX to 'g++'
  Setting FPP to 'cpp'
  Setting F90 to 'gfortran'
  Setting CPPFLAGS to ''
  Setting FPPFLAGS to '-traditional'
  Setting CFLAGS to '-g -std=gnu99'
  Setting CXXFLAGS to '-g -std=gnu++11'
  Setting F90FLAGS to '-g -fcray-pointer -ffixed-line-length-none'
  Setting LDFLAGS to '-rdynamic'
  Setting DEBUG to 'no'
  Setting CPP_DEBUG_FLAGS to ''
  Setting C_DEBUG_FLAGS to ''
  Setting CXX_DEBUG_FLAGS to ''
  Setting OPTIMISE to 'yes'
  Setting CPP_OPTIMISE_FLAGS to ''
  Setting C_OPTIMISE_FLAGS to '-O2'
  Setting CXX_OPTIMISE_FLAGS to '-O2'
  Setting F90_OPTIMISE_FLAGS to '-O2'
  Setting PROFILE to 'no'
  Setting CPP_PROFILE_FLAGS to ''
  Setting C_PROFILE_FLAGS to '-pg'
  Setting CXX_PROFILE_FLAGS to '-pg'
  Setting F90_PROFILE_FLAGS to '-pg'
  Setting WARN to 'yes'
  Setting CPP_WARN_FLAGS to '-Wall'
  Setting C_WARN_FLAGS to '-Wall'
  Setting CXX_WARN_FLAGS to '-Wall'
  Setting F90_WARN_FLAGS to '-Wall'
  Setting OPENMP to 'yes'
  Setting CPP_OPENMP_FLAGS to '-fopenmp'
  Setting FPP_OPENMP_FLAGS to '-D_OPENMP'
  Setting C_OPENMP_FLAGS to '-fopenmp'
  Setting CXX_OPENMP_FLAGS to '-fopenmp'
  Setting F90_OPENMP_FLAGS to '-fopenmp'
  Setting VECTORISE to 'yes'
  Setting VECTORISE_ALIGNED_ARRAYS to 'no'
  Setting VECTORISE_INLINE to 'yes'
  Setting PTHREADS_DIR to 'NO_BUILD'
End of options from '/Users/rob/Cactus/configs/sim/OptionList'.
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin22.5.0
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -std=gnu99 -rdynamic) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -std=gnu99 -rdynamic) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++ -g -std=gnu++11 -rdynamic) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++ -g -std=gnu++11 -rdynamic) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking for nvcc... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for perl... perl
checking for gtar... no
checking for tar... tar
checking for xargs... xargs
checking for gzip... gzip
checking for gpatch... no
checking for patch... patch
checking for git... git
checking for ar... ar
checking for mkdir... mkdir
checking for bash... /bin/sh
Unknown MacOS X f90 compiler.
Please add appropriate information to
/Users/rob/Cactus/lib/make/known-architectures/darwin
and send the updated file to CactusMaint
We will try anyway ...
checking whether the Fortran compiler (gfortran  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: Fortran
compiler cannot create executables (see
configs/sim/config-data/config.log for details).

Error reconfiguring sim-config
make: *** [sim-config] Error 2

As you can see I get an error where it does not like the fortran compiler.

I have tried all of the precursor stuff a number of times using both
MacPorts and Homebrew and this does not seem to give any errors when
installing.

I seem to be going round in circles to resolve this, if you are able
to help that would be really appreciated.

Rob