[Users] Problem installing Einstein Toolkit on Mac

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 7 08:50:02 CDT 2023

Hello Bob,

You said you followed the jupyter tutorial and the log output would
seem to indicate that you did, but just to be sure: did you make sure
to install the prerequisites listed on

https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/CactusTutorial.ipynb

ie for a Mac:

--8<--
On Mac, please first

    Install Xcode from the Apple App Store. In addition agree to Xcode license and install the Xcode Command Line Tools in Terminal

sudo xcodebuild -license
sudo xcode-select --install

    when using MacPorts
        install MacPorts for your version of the Mac operating system, if you have not already installed it (https://www.macports.org/install.php).
        Next, please install the following packages, using the commands:

sudo port -N install pkgconfig gcc12 openmpi-gcc12 fftw-3 gsl zlib openssl subversion ld64 hdf5 +fortran +gfortran
sudo port select mpi openmpi-gcc12-fortran
sudo port select gcc mp-gcc12

    when using HomeBrew
        install HomeBrew for your version of the Mac operating system, if you have not already installed it (https://brew.sh/).
        make sure to add /opt/homebrew/bin to your PATH as instructed by the installation script. You may need to restart your terminal.
        Next, please install the following packages, using the commands:

brew install fftw gcc gsl hdf5 hwloc jpeg open-mpi openssl zlib pkg-config bash subversion
brew link --force jpeg openssl zlib

--8<--

Also could you attach the config.log file that the error message refers
to, please? This is file configs/sim/config-data/config.log ? It will
contain the exact error message that the attempt to use gfortran as the
Fortran compiler produced.