[Users] (no subject)

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 11:04:56 CDT 2023

Hi Thejas,

The oscillations in the maximum density inside the neutron star are due to
numerical errors. Try increasing the numerical resolution, and you'll find
that they converge away. Numerical errors stem from many causes: the sharp
dropoff of density where the neutron star touches the artificial
atmosphere, uneven resolution (the spherical star is being modeled inside a
cubical grid), reconstruction of hydrodynamic variables, derivatives of the
metric source terms, spacetime evolution errors, time evolution errors,
etc. So while you ask about the "physics" of a single stable neutron star,
the dynamics you are seeing are the result of the approximate "numerical"
algorithms used to model it.

-Zach

Zachariah Etienne
Assoc. Prof. of Physics, U. of Idaho
Adjunct Assoc. Prof. of Physics & Astronomy, West Virginia U.
https://etienneresearch.com
https://blackholesathome.net