[Users] prerequisites of ET installation

Panagiotis Iosif piosif at auth.gr
Fri Jan 27 05:26:15 CST 2023

Dear ET users,

I am following the CactusTutorial.ipynb notebook to install ET in a
workstation in my institute.

Among the prerequisites there is the "python-is-python3" package which
symlinks /usr/bin/python to python3.

The workstation has a slightly older Ubuntu version installed (18.04 LTS)
and does not find this particular package for installation.
I do not have rights to perform a system upgrade / or install a newer
Ubuntu version.

Is it safe to omit this package from the prerequisites?
Are there elements in ET that are possible to "break" if this  is left out?
Is there a workaround, for example should I do the symlink to python3
manually?

Thanks and best regards,
Panagiotis Iosif

Dr. Panagiotis Iosif
postdoctoral researcher
email: piosif at auth.gr; paniosif at gmail.com

Section of Astrophysics, Astronomy and Mechanics
Department of Physics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
54124, Thessaloniki, Greece