[Users] prerequisites of ET installation

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 27 08:52:09 CST 2023

Hello Panagiotis,

> Among the prerequisites there is the "python-is-python3" package which
> symlinks /usr/bin/python to python3.
>
> The workstation has a slightly older Ubuntu version installed (18.04 LTS)
> and does not find this particular package for installation.
> I do not have rights to perform a system upgrade / or install a newer
> Ubuntu version.

On Ubuntu chances are that python already defautls to Python3 anyway,
so that package may not be needed.

> Is it safe to omit this package from the prerequisites?
In any case, Python3 is only required by kuibit (simfactory works with
both Python2 and Python3), so if you do not plan to use kuibit then you
do not need python-is-python3

> Are there elements in ET that are possible to "break" if this  is left out?
> Is there a workaround, for example should I do the symlink to python3
> manually?

The only one that comes to mind would be kuibit. A workaround would be
(if any of the kuibit helper scripts use "#!/usr/bin/python" instead of
"#!/usr/bin/python3") to call them via Python, ie

python3 plot-2d-data.py mysim

instead of

plot-2d-data.py mysim